Oprah is the best. No, really, she is! Every year I love looking at her “Favorite Things” and imagining a world in which I could actually own a fourth of that. I mean, Oprah’s great, but she’s also filthy stinking rich. Am I right?!?! I deserve nice things too. Just not so sure that includes a Faux Fur Hat for $125.
I mean, I know I’m worth it, but that’s some major moola to keep my ears toasty in 80 degree weather. Maybe if it was real fur. And if it washed the dishes or something. But $125 for something WHITE, when I know my kids are gonna outgrow their last pair of shoes in .5 seconds- no thank you! And let’s not get started on the fact that this is labeled as an explorer’s hat. A white explorers hat. Made of fake fur. Ain’t nobody got time for that nonsense when you are out exploring the world! Hand me that stick of rhino jerky and let’s get this exploring started! #richpeopleproblems
Now don’t get me wrong, Oprah is the gold standard for all things awesome, but, I wonder, could I do something better for moms everywhere? Could I create a- GASP!- mom’s favorite thing list? Uh, heck yeah!
For this endeavor I enlisted the help of my friend Katy over at I like to cut and paste. We’ve each come up with a small list of our favorite things, that we just can’t live without. Check them out, and maybe they will inspire you to “live in the moment” as our Oprah would say, and discover your treasures just in time for sharing for the holidays!
Without further ado!
The Colourful Teacup’s 2017 Mom’s Favorite Things!
- Pioneer Woman 6 Quart Crockpot, $25. I think this goes without saying, but Moms are busy y’all! Like, honestly overwhelmed all the time. How could you not like something that helps you cut out slaving over a hot stove all evening? This crockpot is an upgrade from my last one that was just too small for my growing family. It’s available in a bunch of yummy colors that are just irresistible. AND my Pioneer Woman Cake Stand with Glass Cover, $27. All of her products are beautiful. And this cake stand was love at first sight for me. It came out right after I saw an article in Martha Stewart Living (the magazine) about Jadeite dish-ware which featured a jadeite cake stand. Obviously this isn’t a jadeite original, but it’s lovely enough to be vintage and it holds all those baked goodies where your husband can see them when he walks through the door, solidifying your position as grade ‘A’ wife material ladies. Seriously. It also helps when you don’t have to tell your kiddos for the millionth time where the dessert is, what the dessert is, what color is the dessert, and on and on and on. An evening with this crockpot and cake stand and you’ll be making Martha Stewart jealous in no time!
- Rapid egg cooker, $12-20. I was made fun of mercilessly over buying this for myself on my birthday last year. But it is impossible to make deviled eggs without loosing half of the egg when you live in Florida. I don’t know if its the eggs, the heat, the humidity or what, but it is impossible. NO, IT IS! Enter in this lovely little gadget (that my husband uses now practically every day- who is laughing now punk?) and you can have hardboiled eggs in 15 minutes with no need to find and clean a pot. It’s magic!
- Happy Planner, $10-40. If you like to obsess over planning every minute of the day, you homeschool, or make lists non-stop, then a Happy Planner is a must! I also have the hole punch so every thing I have gets shoved in there.
- FRIXION erasable gel pens, $11 for a set of 10. Remember what I said about planning every minute of the day? Well, I do it using these glorious pens that my friend Esther introduced me to. I use a different color for every type of activity (church, Girl Scouts, Home, Work, 4-H, etc). Best part? They are ERASABLE! I’ve been told that they work wonders for quilters too, as the ink disappears after ironing.
- Bath and Body Works Spray, $14.50. When it comes to scents, nobody beats Bath and Body Works. And when it’s Christmas, that means they have released their seasonal scents, which are simply irresistible. My fav? Winterberry Wonder.
- Our Own Candle Company 13oz Mason Jar candle, Lemon Pound Cake, $7.99. No Mom’s favorite things list would be complete without a special candle to help alleviate some of those aggravations. These candles carry a high scent load which means one candle is strong enough to make the whole house smell like Grandma is cooking!
- My tea. Tea is serious business in this house. And I have a few things that I regularly use that every tea drinker should consider purchasing. First up, my IKEA 365+ Pitcher with Lid, $7.99. This pitcher is tempered glass, which means that when I am brewing my own iced tea (it is the South y’all!) I don’t have to worry about pulling out my cast iron tea pot. It also holds the same amount of water as my electric tea kettle. Although I love iced tea, I couldn’t live without a good tea served hot. Because I homeschool, my voice is often gone by the end of the day. There’s a lot to be said about the healing powers of a good cuppa tea with local honey drizzled on top. My favorite teas are Zhena’s Gypsy Tea, $8, and Ahmad Cardamon Tea, $15. I love Zhena’s Chai teas, especially Chocolate Chai. Chocolate and Chai? What’s not to love? The Ahmad Cardamon Tea is a nice robust Middle Eastern tea, which is perfect with a bit of cream. It is one of my husband’s favorite teas and reminds him of the cups he had while deployed in the military.
- Godspeed, Voice of the Reformation devotional by David Teems, $12.37. Have you heard about David Teems yet? Well if you haven’t you need to find out more! I recently received this as a gift from my friend Laura when David last visited our church. This devotional celebrates the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation and features the words of people notable during that time period. David Teems is a man of many talents, including being a wonderful historical writer, and an extremely humble and kind man. I was already a huge fan of his work from his other books, so I was really looking forward to getting this one. I must admit, I was so excited I already read a few days worth (sorry 2018).
- Boye Aluminum crochet hooks, $9 for a set of 6, size E-J. These hooks really take a beating! I’ve tried several different brands made of various materials (wood, plastic, etc) and these have proven themselves to be worth their weight in gold. The smoothness of the aluminum means that they do not snag on my yarn. And, unlike plastic hooks, they do not make little “squeaky” sounds when I’m crocheting. If you crochet, you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about.
- And last, but certainly not least, is my most favorite item of all. Stylecraft Special DK Yarn, $2.07 for 100g. I love this yarn so much that I actually just bought 15 more skeins tonight! It’s more lightweight than most of the yarn you buy here in America (perfect for Florida summers) and when they ship it to you from Wool Warehouse (in the UK) they send them in these net bags that are perfect for keeping your WIPs dust free and all together to grab on the go.
How amazing is all that stuff? I hope my favorite things list has inspired you to reflect on all of your favorite things! In the season of gifting and receiving, it is a real blessing to be able to reflect on what you already have and pass that love on to others.
Oprah’s Favoite things are conveniently listed on Amazon for your purchasing. And, joking aside, there’s some great items on there that are actually affordable. You can start shopping here: Oprah’s Favorite Things
Happy Holiday Shopping!
The Colourful Teacup